Many people do not have the time to commit to become trained and participate in Search and Rescue missions, but they still would like to help. There are several ways you can get involved. The first and easiest is by making a tax deductible donation directly to WASAR.
Donations may be sent to:
Washington Air Search and Rescue
P.O. Box 2174
Renton, WA 98056
WASAR is also approved for “designation” by the Boeing Employees Community Fund, as well as various Federal, County and City Combined Campaigns. Look for us in the alphabetical listing of your workplace charitable campaign. Be sure to specifically designate WASAR for your donation!
Finally, you may also donate online at the Local Independent Charities secure website www.lic.org.
Donated funds go directly to supporting search and rescue! WASAR’s Board of Directors takes great pride in the fact that administrative expenses are less than 2% of our budget – resulting in over 98% of our funds going directly to search and rescue missions! This is unheard of in the world of non-profit organizations and is possible only through the voluntary efforts and dedication of our members.
Things We Have Done With Past Donations…
The face of search and rescue has changed dramatically in the post-911 world. Part of this change has been an increased capability and use of technology. To remain up to date with these new developments, WASAR has used donations to purchase the following equipment that is kept in the mobile Incident Command Post (ICP) at all times:
- 20 e-trex GPS units used in the search aircraft to ensure coverage of assigned search grids
- 5 digital cameras that are sent up with search aircraft to document areas of interest
- 3 portable DF units
- Satellite communication system that allows internet access to developing data from various sources, including the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center (AFRCC)
- 5 laptop computers to be used at the Mobile Incident Command Post (ICP)
- Software (such as TOPO-USA, FileMaker-Pro) related to conducting search missions
- Printers and other peripheral computer equipment.